What bugs exist in the Nokia 7190 firmware?
a.k.a "Nokia needs a new QA team" ---
- 1: After activating IRDA reception on the phone via the left item selection button, the menu option still reads 'Activate', when the feature is already enabled. Selecting this option does not deactivate IRDA functionality, indicating that the problem is deeper than just a mis-named text string. The only way to turn off IRDA reception is to power cycle the phone.
- 2: When plugged into rapid charger, phone beeps and displays a warning, "Not Charging", then returns to normal display. The battery bar increments for a couple of minutes (indicating charging activity), then stops. The phone does appear to actually get charged, however. This problem appears to be a recurrent problem with other models of Nokia phones (http://freehomepage.taconet.com.tw/This/is/taconet/top_hosts/eeman/nokia/Nokia_knack.htm describes an instance in which this might happen, but I suspect that the source of my problem is different, since I'm using a Nokia standard charger, which came with the phone and should give the right amount of current and voltage. I've yet to verify this with my multimeter, however.):
NOKIA GENERAL INFO
This information is only applicable to the 2010, 2110, 2110e (and probably all analog's bar 636 and maybe 232), not the 1610 or 8110 to my knowledge as they use
different charger units etc...
The Nokia mains powered charger delivers 12Vdc current limited to about 770mA. End of charge detection is done by the phone itself. Note that connecting 12Vdc
without current limiting to the phone is likely to damage either or both the phone and the battery. Sometimes the phone will display "not charging", other times the
switching transistor inside the phone will die.
- [Greg and I disagree on whether this is really a bug] 3: Phone doesn't left-zero-pad 24 hour time display correctly on the main screen. I think this is an important visual cue to denote that the time format in use is indeed 24h, however. ISO 8601 recommends denoting midnight as 00:00 (as opposed to 24:00), so it would seem to indicate that hour values less than 10 should be left zero padded (09:30 versus 9:30).
- 2001-07-16: When starting a game, the backlight switches off for the duration of the game-play.
- 2001-07-16: Many problems exist with the interaction of the keypad slide with the software. Not pushing the slide the whole way up towards the screen results in menu options displayed for each of the side buttons that do not match the current function of the buttons. For example: 'Menu' will frequently be displayed when the slide is not pushed the whole way up, but pressing the button causes key-locking to occur.
Read more of
Frequently Questioned Answers   (mod.2010-02-10)
406.   What are the different types of Rape Juice(tm) to quench a healthy thirst?
( leif/2004-03-09 )
390.   Where can I learn more about the fascinating game of Go (aka Wei chi, Weiqi, Baduk, etc)
344.   Why are you upset?
337.   you ever watch Jem and the Holograms?
323.   what does a tftp boot error "too many packages" mean?
310.   whats the easiest way to build apache 1.x with lots of modules?
288.   Where does the smell of rain originate from?
260.   What is the best language to search google with?
250.   What's in a Ross Omelette?
( ross/2003-09-16 treesn/2001-12-30 )
246.   why am i getting errors with when reflashing my TINI from a linux box?
241.   What the hell does [U:a:S:b:h] mean?
240.   Where can I find black and white photos of people and places in San Francisco?
239.   What's the Grubstake?
213.   When and where is the next space launch?
172.   What were the specs of the Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC)?
( strick/2001-02-11 )
131.   What does Jesse do to anything after a fresh linux install?
127.   How can I make the "whois" command work like before?
74.   How many roads must a man walk down?
69.   What is the origin of The Yak?
67.   Where are all the IN-N-OUTs around here?
20.   What is a good tool to beautify HTML? Can it handle the mess generated by many web-page generation programs, especially the bloated files created by Word2000?