This article at LinuxJournal is an excellent explanation of what is at stake:
"These groups [the MPAA and its allies] seem to believe they are so important to America that they should be allowed to control every facet of what Americans do with digital information. They also seem to think they are entitled to control the design and manufacture of all information technologies that can process digital information" (Paula Samuelson, "Intellectual Property and the Digital Economy: Why the Anti-Circumvention Regulations Need to be Revised", Berkeley Technology Law Review, Spring 1999).
394.   I've heard of RTFM, but what does STFW mean?
( matthew/2004-08-11 )
340.   what can i use to debug my mail server when pop3 or imap isnt working?   [jesse/2002-12-09]
246.   why am i getting errors with when reflashing my TINI from a linux box?   [jesse/2001-06-09]
240.   Where can I find black and white photos of people and places in San Francisco?   [rupe/2001-06-05]
201.   Where are Mir, the Shuttle, and the ISS right now?   [rupe/2001-03-22]
180.   Why is that dwarf always following me?   [vonguard/2001-02-17]
151.   How can I tell ICANN to screw off?   [fury/2000-12-09]
120.   What is the Hacker's Manifesto?   [rupe/2001-08-14]
117.   Where can I find information on character codes, and encoding issues?   [rupe/2000-09-12]
75.   Where can I get an Isreali standard issue military gas mask for under $30.00 US?   [simon/2000-04-05]
13.   What internet security sites should I read?   [strick/2000-01-17]
1.   From whom did The Yak borrow the idea of Frequently Questioned Answers?   [strick/2000-01-19]