[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(COOLLIST) Bad karma

Occasionally, we all have moments where we think everything is wonderful,
that life has been conquered.  Usually, life then retaliates, knocking
us off our ego-filled seats.

This happened last night.  As of 9PM, May 31st, I proclaimed myself DONE!
OVER! FIN!  I had just returned from a group meeting for a report due today.
I had done my share, and I had left.  Not only was I done for the quarter,
I was done for all of undergraduate college.  It felt great!

Then, about 3AM, I'm woken up, right as I'm finally drifting to sleep,
by a phone call from my two group members.  They had discovered a
discrepancy in the numbers produced by my program and our earlier
results.  Could I please look at the programs and see if I could get them
to agree?

Of course, I agree.  It takes me an hour.  I find a bug that affected the
numerical accuracy of BOTH programs, making each programs results
incorrect.  At 4:30, we agree to turn in with the old data, explaining
the discrepancy only in a sidenote to the professor.

Karma is repaid.  Combee out.
--
"A heart, a heart that hurts,    | Benjamin L. Combee
is a heart, a heart that works." | combee@techwood.org