[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(COOLLIST) Moonpools and Caterpillars

Hey Y'all!  It's a dreary, cold, wet day here in Austin, meaning
that it is high time for another entry in the (COOLLIST) book of
life.

Last night I went to see the excellent guitar-skat(1) band from LA
called Moonpools and Caterpillars(2).  They have a CD out now from
Elektra named _Lucky Dumpling_ and a song, "Hear", that has gotten
some radio play.

I got there a little after 8... that was a bit of misjudgement on
my part, since the show actually didn't happen until 10:30.  However,
I got to see and hear their soundchecks, and they played two songs
to test the equipment, so it wasn't so bad.

Around 9ish, the lead singer for M+C, the hyperactive Kim Encarnacion,
was talking to some fans in the back of the club where I was at,
and she came up to me and offered a handful of "pickle gum" powder
that she dispensed from a plastic cucumber that hung from her neck.
Upon her insistence that I try it, I licked the powder from my hand
and found it to immediately be sugary but with a strong dill flavor.
Cool!

I talked to her for a few minutes along with some other fans that
had shown up early.  They band has been together for eight years
now, but this is their first national tour opening for Atlanta
faves Driving and Crying.  Thursday night they had played in Houston
to a less than enthusiastic crowd, and Saturday they were playing
Dallas.  She said they had been scheduled to come back to Houston
in December in a headlining show, but they would probably change
it to Austin based on the reaction they got.  She was really happy
to see people there who came out to see them and even brought her
manager over to see the crowd (six people!).  We told her about
the group getting airplay in a public access show and about the
good reviews their album had gotten in the Chronicle.  It was really
cool meeting her and her band mates.

The show went really well.  Very loud, very fast, lots of energy
from the stage.  She dedicated a cover of the Foreigner song "Sister
Christian" to the people to whom she had given the pickle gum.  It
was standing room only (not hard to do in the small club).

OH, it also was a "Global Internet Broadcast".  Adhesive Media,
the eden.com people from which I get an account, were there with
three cameras sending the M+C and the D+C concerts out on CuSeeMe
and the MBone(3).  I don't know if they are going to repeat it,
but if so, it might be a blast to find a well connected computer
and watch the show.

weeks will be make or break time for me.  I've already said that
I'm going to let it slip for Thanksgiving this year--that would be
a mess to handle.

Yr fthfl pl, Ben

Note 1: guitar-skat is a term I came up with to describe music with
a strong rock guitar component that also features a lot of skat-type
singing, skat being a jazz vocal style where the voice is used as
an instrument, i.e. Mel Torme or Ella Fitzgerald

Note 2: more M+C info at http://www.nbn.com/aaj/music/mpc/

Note 3: CuSeeMe is free video conferencing software for the Mac.
The MBone is the Multicasting Backbone of the Internet that lets
data be sent out to multiple addresses simultaneously.  Both OIT
and GVU at GaTech should have more info on this.

--
        eebmoC .L nimajneB | Benjamin L. Combee                (REVERSE)
       gro.doowhcet@eebmoc | combee@techwood.org           (ENGINEERING)

--
        eebmoC .L nimajneB | Benjamin L. Combee                (REVERSE)
       gro.doowhcet@eebmoc | combee@techwood.org           (ENGINEERING)
\eebmoc\ten.kay.www\\:ptth | http://www.yak.net/combee/        (RESERVE)
####